How do you choose the best portable water purification products for outdoor survival?

June 03, 2014

Fresh Water Contamination - Water PurifiersWhen it comes to emergency and survival water treatment, most outdoor enthusiasts, world travelers, survivalists and preppers have immediate concerns about pathogens like E-Coli, Giardia and Cryptosporidium, because the dreaded vomiting, cramping and diarrhea caused by these little bugs is not something you want to deal with, especially in the middle of the woods or dealing with emergencies and disaster.  The increased use of hormone disrupting agricultural and industrial chemicals, which eventually end up as runoff into lakes, rivers and streams, is rapidly becoming a concern in nearly all fresh water sources.  You never know what's lurking upstream; in the back country or even communities like Charleston, West Virginia, where nearly 300,000 residents were without water due to the contamination of the Elk River by the chemical MCHM on January 9, 2014. (see story here)

Additionally, according to the EPA, "Airborne pollutants from human and natural sources can deposit back onto land and water bodies, sometimes at great distances from the source, and can be an important contributor to declining water quality. Pollutants in waterbodies that may originate in part from atmospheric sources include nitrogen compounds, sulfur compounds, mercury, pesticides, and other toxics...Pollution deposited from the air can reach water bodies in two ways. It can either be deposited directly onto the surface of the water (direct deposition) or be deposited onto land and be carried to water bodies through run off (indirect deposition). Once these pollutants are in the water, they can have undesirable health and environmental impacts, such as contaminated fish, harmful algal blooms, and unsafe drinking water."

The need for advanced methods of treating fresh water sources is rapidly becoming necessary.

Adding a portable water filtration device to your pack or emergency survival kit is definitely helpful, but is it enough? With prices ranging from $25 to hundreds of dollars, certain portable filtration devices can remove particulates, some remove bacteria and protozoa, few remove viruses, and some remove particulates, bacteria, protozoa, and chemical toxins - but not viruses.  Trying to find one filtration device that's inexpensive, easy to carry and functional, can be a difficult task.

It's definitely wise to always filter your water in addition to using water purifiers.  But, what if your portable water filter breaks?  Then what do you do? Can you depend on chlorine dioxide or iodine tablets and hope for the best?  Let's talk about those chemical water treatments.

What is Chlorine Dioxide?  Chlorine dioxide is an antimicrobial pesticide recognized for its disinfectant properties. Chlorine dioxide kills microorganisms by disrupting transport of nutrients across the cell wall. It is low to moderately effective against cryptosporidium, and highly effective against giardia, bacteria, and some viruses. Here's what the EPA says about the possible health effects of chlorine dioxide, "Some infants, young children, and fetuses of pregnant women who drink water containing chlorine dioxide in excess of the maximum residual disinfectant level could experience nervous system effects. Some people who drink water containing chlorine dioxide well in excess of the MRDL for many years may experience anemia."

What about Iodine Tablets?  Iodine kills many, but not all, of the most common pathogens present in natural fresh water sources. It is completely ineffective against cryptosporidium, mildly effective against giardia, and highly effective against some bacteria and viruses. The use of iodine for water disinfection, depending upon the amount and the extent of use, can induce changes in thyroid physiology, and is not recommended for pregnant women, children, and individuals with thyroid disease.  Iodine also loses potency once exposed to air.  Read more about iodine here.

So, now we come to the self-serving part of this article ... Purinize water purifier.

When it comes to drinking water safety for outdoor survival, it is prudent to use BOTH a water purifier and a filter whenever possible.

Over the past year we at Purinize have been building a case for our fantastic water purifier product which is 100% natural, non-toxic, safe to use everyday, and is environmentally friendly - does not harm humans, plants, animals or aquatic habits.  We have spent thousands of dollars on EPA certified laboratory testing which demonstrate that Purinize water purifier reduces or removes the following from water:

  • waterborne pathogens like giardia and cryptosporidium;
  • bacteria like E-Coli;
  • viruses like Polivirus, Enterovirus and Rotavirus;
  • 160 industrial chemicals like MCHM and hexavalent chromium, and including 80 volatile organic chemicals;
  • 79 pesticides, fungicides and insecticides like Atrazine (an endocrine disruptor);
  • removes 100% of chlorine, and reduces chloramine and trihalomethanes to below detectable limits;
  • reduces heavy metals like lead, mercury and arsenic;
  • and, 36 pharmaceuticals like antibiotics, mood stabilizers, steroids, antidepressants, and anti-inflammatory drugs including morphine.

Purinize water purifier is not only effective against all of these invasive water contaminants, it does not contain toxic chemicals like chlorine, chlorine dioxide, nor iodine and comes in a convenient, lightweight, 2 ounce pocket size.  Purinize is an all-natural solution of concentrated mineral salts and purified water. The Purinize mineral extraction and water purification processes are protected under U.S. patent 4,776,963; it mimics the earth's natural process of water purification (see video here).

Purinize, when added to water, causes dissolved impurities to become insoluble and coagulate (clump) together making them filterable. As this occurs, impurities are neutralized. Once coagulated, the neutralized impurities precipitate and are deposited to the bottom of your water container; effectively reducing bacteria, viruses and protozoa like Giardia and Cryptosporidium as well as agricultural & industrial chemicals, pharmaceuticals and heavy metal contaminants.(see more here)  100% non-toxic and safe for the environment and completely safe for extended use!

Great for treating outdoor fresh water sources, water storage, survival, travel, and personal use for home, pets, livestock and even gardens.

Sawyer Mini Filters - When we were looking for an easy to carry, easy to use portable water filter, the Sawyer Mini Filter stood out.  The Sawyer Mini Filter (similar to kidney dialysis) filter to 0.1 micron absolute, exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations and weighing just 2 ounces, it can filter up 100,000 gallons!  No cartridge replacement!  The Sawyer Mini removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, chorlera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium.

What’s special about the Purinize/Sawyer portable water purification combination? Most water filtration devices on their own cannot filter out certain types of disease causing pathogens, agricultural and manufacturing chemicals, heavy metals, or pharmaceuticals.  But with the combined technologies of Purinize and Sawyer you've got a mini water treatment plant in the palm of your hand!

Purinize is completely safe to use every day, continuously, it is awesome for water storage and preservation, and the best part ... it can even improve the smell and taste of water.

Use Purinize for your outdoor experiences, travel, emergency survival and preparedness kits, water storage, livestock and at home for your tap water.

To sum it all up, if you've been searching for a product that is safe for all living things, won't harm aquatic habitats or the environment, reduces or removes more contaminants than any other portable water purifier, contains no toxic chemicals like chlorine, chlorine dioxide, nor iodine, and can improve the smell and taste of your drinking water .... the search is over - get PURINIZE!